Monday, March 16, 2009

Space Shuttle Discovery Launch


One of the coolest things about living in Central Florida is the fact that we have a front row seat for all things NASA. The shuttle launch never fails to impress me. It is truly inspiring. Many Floridians take for granted the how lucky we are to be able to witness such an awesome display several times a year. Not me. I always grab my daughter and watch the countdown on TV and then run outside like a little kid to watch it and listen for the now familiar rumble. Night launches are cool but last nights launch was the first "twilight" launch I have had the opportunity to see first hand in my near 10 years in Florida. This picture is from about 60 miles North of Cape Canaveral. Due to the time of day, it was spectacularly colorful event. 4 more launches are scheduled for 2009 and 5 for 2010 in an effort to complete the International Space Station. Once complete, the Shuttle Fleet will be retired after 135 flights spanning almost 30 years. Godspeed Discovery. Fair thee well.

No comments: